Friday 25 November 2011

Previous Student Work

I have looked at numerous examples of previous student work, from the good to the bad. All have different ideas and styles, however some are better at displaying these than others.


Esser - Work It Out (Davide Hodgson - Lorente)


This is an impressive example of previous student work, with the up tempo song being reflecting the eccentric, quirky video. It follows a narrative, but still contains elements of performance, with the lead male sometimes lip-syncing to the music very well. The narrative is very interesting in itself, the diving into the bed and 'green-screen' dinosaur effect being particular highlights. The quirkiness of the video means it does lack any real deep emotion or meaning behind it, instead focussing on the 'bubbly' nature of the song, which I think fits well, however that would be my only real criticism. As all good music video with a narrative, it is wrapped up by the end of the song, with the twist being a surprising, yet subtle way to finish things. Overall, I enjoyed this music video, it is experimental yet simple at the same time, and deserved the award that it won for best music video made that year.


Mumford and Sons - The Cave (Roisin Evans & Louis Perry)


This is another enjoyable music video, to a song that I am personally very fond of. This doesn't have such an easily recognisable narrative, mainly focussing on performance elements. The idea of two separate forms coming together, music and dance, is an interesting concept which I think works well, with the guitarists' lip-syncing being near perfect. The mise-en-scene is also something that I think works positively in the video, with the forest setting reflecting the folky style song, with the dancer representing a slightly different interpretation. Again, this is a good music video, that they have obviously put a lot of effort into, much like the first video, which I can admire.



Through looking at the former student's video, it has made me more focussed and made the direction I want to go in even clearer. I am committed to doing a narrative style video, something that I have found is not all entirely popular amongst previous students, and in some cases not done very successfully. However, this has only given me more inspiration to do my video in a certain style, and by putting a lot of hard work into it, make a creative and polished music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment